Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ripple46

OBS Chroma and Color Keying?

Livestreaming Software Preference?   1 member has voted

1. 1. Which live streaming software do you prefer?

• OBS (Open Broadcaster Software)
    • Wirecast

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 posts in this topic

What is the different and uses for Chroma keying and color keying in OBS? Aren't they the same thing?

I'm not sure if that's actually how they work, but looking at the names the difference is "chroma" vs "color". The difference between chroma and color is that "color" means a full color, while "chroma" is used to refer to *part* of a full color when talking about YUV. Like with RGB, where you have a red, green, and blue component of a color, YUV (the color model used in video for mostly historical reasons) has Luma (the Y) and Chroma (consisting of the two parts U and V). Luma means the greyscale part of a color, and UV is the color part (also know as the "hue" of a color IIRC). This image shows Y, U, and V components seperated.

In other words, I'd think "color" looks for a complete color (including Luma), and "chroma" does the same but ignoring the Luma component. If I am correct in this assumption, "chroma key" will treat differently bright versions of the same color as the same color, allowing green screens to work even when the lighting isn't perfectly even.

In other words, Chroma would be more used for Green Screens but Color Key for graphics computer